May 8, 2016

Flying geese in a lot of different variations



You must be bored stiff by now, reading only about bee blocks, but sorry, that is what I am doing just now. Getting rid of a large stash of bee blocks. I did not sew anything for 3/4 year so when I finally started there was a lot to do. It really is not that bad; I do like sewing bee blocks because of the large variety of patterns. And I love to see what colors pop up!

I think I’ve told you I’ve joined five bees. Oh yes, five :-)

Now it is time to tell you about the Flying geese bee with the Lazy Bums. The Lazy Bums is a group of ladies making up their minds to get rid of their UFOs, with a lot going on as well as sewing. You find us on Flickr. Actually we have a lot of fun together and it is a really supportive, no hassle group. We live all around the world, but that does not deter us from having retreat weekends. We find a date and then we sew for 24 hours together while chatting. I simply love our retreats; may we have another one soon?

Another idea was to have a bee and the Flying Geese bee was born!
I think ten of us signed up and I am surprised at the variety of patterns showing up. Just have a look yourself: 















This one was for Anneliese in Ireland. I am not sure if she came up with the idea for the block herself, or if she had seen it somewhere else. Doesn’t really matter; it is a lovely paper pieced block and it will look great once it is finished.




















Then we had a Gaggle of Goslings, diamond and pinwheel geese for Celine. 


















And an Eight pointed star for Gi.
















Jen set her mind on Ashley's star.

















Kathinca wanted some remixed geese in strong colours

















and Rachel came up with a  block of her own in pale yellow and grey.

















Lauries wanted Geese in the forest by twiddletails


as did Lizzie, but her geese are in a dark winterforest


My own blocks, pattern by twiddletails

Now I've left Leonie out, but that is only because I did not sew her block. We made a deal and decided to sew our own blocks. I was terrified by her block and she wasn't that hot on paper piecing.

And now; just a few angel blocks and I'm done :-)


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you dear! Yes, they are fun to make.

      Delete
  2. Your geese blocks are just wonderful. So how many bee blocks are left? The last number I heard was 20 and now you are really done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid they are still 20; it was a busy weekend...

      Delete
  3. Hi May,
    I love love love your scrappy, colourful geese! And I need to pick up the lazy bums group again too, would love to have a virtual sew-in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dear, I am rather partial to it myself :-) Yes, I'll see about a date for the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe May,
    deine Flying Geese sind ganz toll. Es wird ein ganz besonderer Quilt. Bin auf das Ergebnis gespannt.
    LG
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete