June 15, 2012

True lover's knot

I just want to show you that I do quilt, at least once in a while. Sure, I've been busy with the Scrappy? Sew bee it! and Star of Africa bees. And of course I couldn't keep my hands off  Nicky's Framed Purses swap, much to her chagrin. He he...
Both bees and the swap are now closed, but I'm sure there will be other ones later on. Yes Nicky...?
At least I have definite plans as soon as I get back from my vacation. I'm pretty sure you will like it.

Anyway, I'm rambling, am I not? Yes, Annika was the second one to go in the Scrappy? Sew bee it! bee and she wanted a Log Cabin. That was a first for me, but I liked it a lot. So after finishing her block (I think on the first day after the instructions became public. Never mind the signature block took two weeks to make) I looked around and saw a box with fabrics, just waiting to be transformed into a True Lover's knot quilt. The pattern is both simple and intricate and above all it requires accurate sewing. It was the accurate sewing which has kept me away from this project for so long. I was sure I was going to suck big time. Nevertheless I decided to try my skills with a couple of blocks and then I was hooked. This was what I made during the first three days.


But it didn't stay that way, nor for long anyway.


Chainpiecing the next 17 blocks...

I didn't do much more than cut and slice, sew, iron and cut to shape again. There are 29 pieces in this block. That means 28 rounds under the sewing machines, 28 trips to the ironing board, 28 times cut to shape again...The thing is, you just have to be accurate, or you can just as well chuck the block at once.
I was watching Criminal Minds during these sewing sessions and felt rather morbid with all this cutting and slicing...

If your fingers are itching to try your out hand at this one I think I found the pattern here. I didn't find any descriptions as to the actual sewing, so this is what I did.
I used about 4-5 yards of periwinkle and a bit less of white on white fabric. Sorry, but I really do not know. I just decided I would sew until I had no fabric left and didn't think about checking the amounts before I started.

White fabric:

1 x   2 1/2" x 2 1/2"  (center of the block)
1 x   1 1/2" x 3 1/3"
3 x   1 1/2" x 5 1/2"
1 x    1 1/2" x 4 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 6 1/2"
2 x   1 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Periwinkle fabric:
1 x   1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
2 x   1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 5 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 6 1/2"
2 x   1 1/2" x 7 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 9 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 10 1/2"
2 x   1 1/2" x 11 1/2"
1 x   1 1/2" x 12 1/2"

For the smallest parts I sewed two 1 1/2" strips together, one of each colour and cut them into 1 1/2" pieces. The block finishes at 12 1/2".

Hope this helps you on your way. Oh, one thing more. I keep the pattern next to my sewing machine, in a plastic folder taped to the desk and check every single strip before I sew anything and so far I've done very well with this strategy. The only casualities were a couple of white on white turned wrong side up.

I've now finished 24 blocks and still have 12 to go, but I don't think it will take too long.  I'm determined to finish this quilt in one go. No sidetracking!


Want to see what my letter box look like these days?


It's full of nice surprises from the Scrappy? Sew bee it! bee. So far I have received 7 blocks, signature blocks and goodies. It's so much fun to raid the letter box after a long day at the office.

A sneek peek.


It's going to be one of my favorites; I just know it!

And a sneek peek at Annika's block.

That's all for now; I've got some slicing to do...

19 comments:

  1. Love the stars, but the knot is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, my, you're fast! I hadn't finished editing the post yet...
    Thanks!
    I'm sure the African stars will shine just as bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is stunning! All that accuracy sounds very daunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this! I love this block, and now I'm dying to make one. Question: how big is each finished block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 1/2". Which colours are you going to choose Amie? Hope you will show pictures of your quilt :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow May it is fabulous! And your star quilt is going to be so lovely - I'm really tempted to make one f or me! You'll have another block winging it's way to you soon - it's done at last, just needs siggy block too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I do hope you decide to make Stargazer as well; it was such fun to make those wonky stars. Thanks for the block as well; those siggy blocks are harder than you suppose...

      Delete
  6. wow...that's awesome...thank you for the link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nima and welcome to my blog! I just popped over to your blog and was impressed!

      Delete
  7. All quilts are gonna be great! One weekend no blog reading! I think I'm gonna be busy for the next couple of hours ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knot blocks look amazing and I like your new blog background - beautiful and summery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, the last 4 blocks are being made now, hope to finish them tomorrow. Then the quilting and the binding...
      I like to change the background rather often; there are so many good ones just waiting for the right blog :-)

      Delete
  9. Your lover's knot quilt is really beautiful! ANd great framed purse. I'd say you are keeping very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have all the fabric and the pattern to that (almost) same quilt. I've been afraid to start it because it looks so hard. It's two colors also. I love yours. I wanted to tell you that I watch "Criminal Minds" all the time. I love that show. Some times I get very scared because I know that a lot of the shows are based on true stories, but I can't help but watch it. I was at a quilting retreat and all the gals were saying how horrible that show was and I kept my mouth closed. Now, knowing that you like it also, I don't feel so bad. And, knowing that you made that almost same quilt, I'm going to try making mine. Mine is cream and maroon. I like your colors better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how stargazer May style is coming along!

    I wouldn't even mind doing another block or two if other bee members are still keen!

    ReplyDelete