May 13, 2012

Waiving with a white flag

Yesterday was a wonderful day; everything full of sunshine, bright and shiny in the Fabraholic world.

Not only did the sun actually shine, but Beauty and I set out for a three hour lesson on hand quilting. We had  fun driving to a quilting shop in the neighbourhood I didn't know about  - nice surprise - and met some other quilters.





Yes, they actually do excist, even in Germany! Never seen one before.
The lesson was instructive and a lot of fun. Both Beauty and I went home again with tons of good advice and new skills in handquilting. Well perhaps a fabric or two just jumped into my bag as well. Don't know how that happended.



This one was feebly calling out to me. "Help, help! Rescue me from these aliens" With me it is safe. I problably never will take the scissors to this one...Can't be hardhearted, can I? The drive home took some four hours instead of 20 minutes. We went to the hairdressers, had dinner, went shopping... No matter; it was just great. And we saw this sight:


There were thousands of these rubber duckies racing down the river. Couldn't get all of them into one picture; there were always more coming.

I think I've told you about my quilting problems; one disaster after another with the sewing machine and throwing hissy fits with all my instruction books on hand quilting. I was stuck! The flimsies were just piling up and I honestly don't know what to do with them. So at home I couldn't wait to get my hands on my Mystery Star quilt. It's been laying around on my bed for some 7-8 months now, just waiting for me to get the small matter of quilting done. (No wonder my bedroom is a mess; it is not the only thing just waiting around) Proudly I set out with a sharp size 12 quilting needle, handquilting thread, the quilt in my lap and my new skills fresh in my mind. And then - poooof went my resolution and my good spirits out the window. I simply cannot sew this one without toehookers!!! I used Marthas warm and natural wool as filling (just love it), but it doesn't yield like it should. It is absolutely impossible to make small, neat stitches on this one! What shall I do? Give up quilting?

No, I won't give up, I'd be expatrionated if I did. No, not because of the quilting, but for giving up:-). Do you have any advice for me? Some good one  is badly needed here!

6 comments:

  1. hand quilting... I have done my portion of it..

    Vietämme ihana Helatorstai viikonlopun Munchenissä. Kiva päästä kiertelemään vanhoilee kotinurkille. Ja kuinka ollakaan siellä on kuulemma joku jalkapallo-ottelukin sinä viikonloppun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiks Münchenissä aina ole jalkapallo otteluja? :-)Kiva päästä pois pariksi päiväksi! Aiotko käydä ostoksilla?

      Delete
  2. Hey May, cant give you any advice. But it looks like you had a wonderful day! Love the fabric you rescued, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you manage with your quilts? I'm stuck.
      London is my favorite place; I'd like to live there.

      Delete
  3. varmaan sitäkin tehdään, tavataan ystävia ja syödään parsaaaaa nammm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kuulostaa ihanalta! Kirjoita kun tulet takaisin kotiin.

      Delete