May 8, 2012

True words

Sometimes true words hurt, even if they are kindly meant. All for your own good - you know the type of truths you get to hear on these occations. :-)
My dear friend and neighbour Michaela popped over last week for a cup of joe and we talked about most everything that came into our minds. I whined as usual about the difficulties in keeping a clean house and especially about the state of my own bedroom (this is where I sew and hoard keep my fabrics). What did Michaela say? Yes, she said: you should not keep buying fabrics, you should sew instead! She also said something about obsessions, but we will not dwell on that now...

No, these words did not hurt, but they did kind of wake me up. They were so true. I'm considering changing my name from Fabraholic to Fabramessy.

As the family didn't come home this weekend I had the house to myself and decided to sew.  This is what I accomplished:




12 sailboat blocks. I used Gunillas boatquilt as pattern. I'm using the ugliest fabrics in the world and therefore call this quilt The Beauty and the Beast. Somehow these uglies just blend in and I'm sure this one will turn out a Beauty if it something like Gunillas.

Of course I managed to sew a couple of sails upside down, but that was easy to take care of. Just swish swish with Jackie the ripper and another round at the sewing machine. I have still 13 sailboats to sew and 25 blocks made of  16 2 1/2" squares. This quilt is so easy to make; it is a real pleasure to watch it grow.

Then I finished my first Stargazing block. I've never made anything like this before and it was not as easy as the sailboats because you have to keep your mind on what you are doing.




I keep a stash of Half square triangles near the sewing machine. You know, just not to interrupt the chainpeacing when making a block. These HST are needed for a table topper I've been working on every now and then. I need 800 HST and already have finished 400. This weekend I made about 100-150, so this UFO is slowly growing.




Never mind if it takes a bit longer; I'm in no hurry.

And what did you do this weekend? I hope you did enjoy yourself as much as I did:-)

12 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that you started on the boat quilt. The blocks look great. Good luck with the 16 patch blocks!

    I like the stars but I find them difficult to make :-)

    Regards,
    Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the wonky stars are easier to make than the "normal" ones. Not as easy as the 16 patch blocks though...

      Delete
  2. You have done very well this weekend :)
    But I still think that some people just don't understand about us and fabrics, LOl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Radka! Yes, some people keep on saying the wrong things like "What do you want with so many quilts?" and nonsense like that. Still it is true that I haven't found a good place to store away my fabrics and my heaps are not easy on the eyes:-)

      Delete
  3. Cool post, but I wish you and Gunilla had not said that the Stargazing block is difficult to make. Now, i'm scared ;-) just a little bit!
    Jackie the ripper - hillarious!!!!
    I have my mom asking me: "When do you start making things with all that fabric you keep buying?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is not difficult; only if you compare it with a 16 patch block:-)
      Nur Mut!

      Delete
  4. Being old and feeble-minded I don't quite remember last weekend... but this weekend I'm freezing! It's bloomin' cold here, what happened to Springtime, I'd like to know?! I had plans for the garden, but today has mostly been spent inside the house.

    I can't say that I have that much fabric... but when it comes to yarn I blush and confess that I might perhaps buy less and use more for knitting/crocheting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A supply of wool shows only your forethought in case icy winds are blowing; no need to blush.
      Pffft, old and feebleminded... my foot!

      Delete
  5. Hi May, I received your present. I absolutely love the fabric. Is it American by any chance? Or is it German? And the candy is wonderful. Thank you so much. I think you are great!! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Jeanne, the fabrics are from Westminster fibres. I don't know where they are produced, I bought them here in Germany.

      Delete
  6. May, I love your wonky star blocks. Where could I get the pattern? I love all the bright fabrics. I would love to make a quilt using those blocks. I have many, many quilts stacked up in my sewing room with no one to go to yet. Someday I'll need them for gifts. I have way too much fabric. I have away 14 kits to a woman a couple of months ago because I have too much. Don't feel bad. I know some day I will use mine. But I keep buying more as it all stacks up. Running out of places to store it all. I think that's why I gave away so much fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Jeanne, well the easisest way is either to buy the Modern blocks book, or you could join us in the Scrappy? Sew bee it! bee. We would love to have you!
      I know just what you are talking about; I'd be happy to help you out if you have too much:-)

      Delete