January 5, 2012

Thank you!

First of all I want to wish you a Happy New Year and to thank you for making 2011 into a good one for me. I started blogging in April 2011 and it has been a most refreshing and enhancing experience I don’t want to live without. I never expected it to be so much fun.

Before I get all teary eyed I’d better take a look at last years resolutions and what became of them.

I did have big plans of reducing my pile of UFOs by one a month. My bad right arm prevented my good intentions, but at least I did get 6 UFOs finished and I got this blog up and running. There were some other things I wanted to do as well, like reducing weight, but let’s not get too agitated about them…
I still cannot stitch or knit, but if I’m careful I can cut fabrics and use a sewing machine, so there is still life in me.
For this year I think keeping the pace of 1 UFO/month seems a good plan.

So what has happened these last two weeks since I posted? First and most important of all was that two swap gifts arrived from Birmingham and Singapore. Thank you Gerry ever so much for everything you sent. The Christmas pudding and the sauce are long gone, everything else I keep looking at and fondling. And thank you Rachel for the book cover and the key ring. The key ring reminds me of three wonderful days in Singapore. The book cover is beautifully stitched and has great fabrics. Sorry not to show any pictures, but when I get home from the treadmill it is so dark that the pictures look more like wartime blackouts than anything else.

If you wonder what was in my mystery swap parcel, it was a cute quilting book with lots of applications. Gerry doesn’t quilt yet, but perhaps it will get her started :-) . Rachel got a pouch, some book markers and some yummy chocolates. I suppose Rachel got only the wrappers as she has three small boys…

Get on with the story.

I did get my Christmas decorations up in time and Christmas was a family thing with lots of presents, fun and rich nourishment. We went to church and stuffed ourselves something awfully with all our favourite foods. We don’t have the traditional Finnish or German Christmas dinners, only some elements from both, as no one in the family is especially keen on the traditional foods. We just go through an array of our personal greatest hits and are usually unable to move even a fin afterwards.




This is a traditional German Neujahrskringel. It is served on New Year, but our didn’t survive New Years Eve.

What else?

What about quilting? Well no; I didn’t finish any quilts during December, only some smaller gifts. I was in such a hurry to get them on their way that I missed out on taking pictures. But I still have some smaller unfinished projects I’d like to share as soon as the light is better.

What I can share with you are some pictures from a medieval Christmas market in a small German town in the Rhine valley. There are famous Christmas markets in most places in this country, but I’m not the greatest of fans. This one is an exception and I go there every now and then. It is fun. The vendors try to speak some “old” German, but of course it is no where like the real Mittelhochdeutsch. They dress the part though. You don’t pay in Euros, but in Silberlinge (they look suspiciously like Euros) and get your food served on cabbage leaves. There are open fires, dancing and you can try your skills at medieval handicrafts. Without further blubber from me; enjoy!










4 comments:

  1. The pictures are gorgeous. The slippers, purses, pottery and especially the baskets are somethings I would have to purchase. Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here in brooklyn, i am recovered from the holidays. I love the market. Like your friend Jeanne I would be tempted by those baskets and the slippers too. Happy NEw Year and I wish you knitting and sewing days ahead.

    ReplyDelete