January 17, 2012

How well do you know the world we live in?

Are you one of those couch know-it-alls? You know what I mean. The ones sitting in front of the TV, watching some quiz show or other and groaning around because some unfortunate looser sucks and doesn’t know the most elementary things?

I once heard a comment on a train: “It is nine o’clock, so this must be Switzerland.” No, I will not tell you what I thought (you might find some slight fault with my Christian spirit), but this comment stayed in my mind for a long time. Of course I am a mature and reasonable person, so I decided to make a test of my own on how much I know about the USA. I’ve never been there, but I’m an educated person, so why not?



I found all kinds of maps at www.mapsofworld.com and chose one with only the outlines of the different states. Then I set down to work with the firm intention of placing all the 50 states, with capitals, in the right places. Hark, hark.

The bright side was that my creativity is quite impressive.

Europe was, of course, far too easy to bother with (at least in my mind). But somewhat sobered through the US fiasco I decided to make another test and name all the countries, with capitals and currency thrown in to get at least some kind of intellectual challenge. Isn't there some saying about pride and falls?

Well, I never got down to the capitals because I sucked already at the countries. If you are now chuckling and shaking your head, you should try it yourself. First of all; there are 50 countries (that was news to me) and the ones around the Black Sea are real tricky.

So, what about you? Care to try it out? I’d love to hear the results. Of course you are much smarter than me…
Know what; you show me yours and I'll show you mine (is this not a sort of male thing?). Results, of course.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great....maybe I'd better warm up first with a map of the US and do the states and capitals? LOL I'm chicken. I know I will be a dunce when it comes to Europe! I'll let you know how I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't even dare to try! Somehow, the geographic gene is missing in me. I do know that I live in Sweden, and I know the approximate direction of where Alsace is - I think I will have to be satisfied with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love maps. But States with their capitals though, that's a tall order. And I have had tons of practice. One of my favorite games as a child was called the Game of the States where you moved little plastic cars around the board - and you learned the products that the states were know for too. And as my son went through school we seemed to review it annually! I am going to try and PM you now.

    ReplyDelete