August 10, 2011

Small New Blog Meet-up

A week ago I signed up at Lily's Quilts for her Small New Blog Meet-up. Her idea was to link a lot of new bloggers with each other and, of course, with other bloggers as well. Absolutely brilliant!

Small Blog Meet

I certainly qualify for this feature as:

1. I only started in April with my blog and am still stumbling around without the slightest idea how to create the blog I'd like to have. You know; absolutely beautiful, stunning pictures, smart postings and ful to the brink with inspiration.

2. I have less than 20 followers. It was 11 one week ago, so my blog is peaking up, but still I'd love to get lots of comments everytime I sign in. I just love comments!

So what about me? I come from a family where women don't sit down with "empty" hands. There is a very long tradition of various handicrafts in my family. As long as I can remember I have been knitting, sewing and crocheting as well as a lot of other things. My problem is that I don't live anylonger in my home country (Finland) and there isn't much of a handicrafting tradition where I now live (Germany). Hey yo Germans - prove me wrong!

I'm addicted to colours and different materials, be it fabrics, paper, yarn or what ever. Sadly I can't draw or design anything.

I'm rather new to this quilting business, as I had a lifelong war going on with my (old)sewing machine. I simply haven't got the patience and the talent to get the things going the way I want. Two years ago I got infected with the quilting bug and everything has changed since then. I'm still untalented and impatient, but I'm sewing away as much and as fast as I can. (and loving it!) Still I'm missing all those kindred souls I used to have around me and I hope to find a new community through the quiltblogs. I love to browse around and admire all the beautiful works of art you all seem to produce so effortlessly :-)

Here is a short list about me:

1. I'm more of a patchworker than a quilter, because I'm scared stiff of quilting! My quilting is just disasterous.

2. I LOVE to travel. I grab at every opportunity to romp around the world.

3. I hate to cut my hair.

4. I love the sea.

5. I hate to get up in the morning.

6. I've had a lot of different jobs. Everything from picking flowers or making lamps in a factory to being a scientific assistant. Media technics it says now on my door at the threadwork mill and believe me - it has nothing to do with what I've studied. Much as I love what I'm doing now - it does get in the way of my hobbies.

7. London is my favorite city (after Helsinki of course). I'm sure the situation there will soon be sorted out.

8. I love whodunits. Flavia de Luce is my favorite sleuth (Alan Bradley). I wish I had something of her in my genes.

9. I'm very loyal to people.

10. I'm like a butterfly when it comes to the things I do. I get distracted by new colours, patterns, projects and am happily forever fluttering from flower to flower.

That's enough for now; I have a date with my sewing machine.

Take care, May




13 comments:

  1. Now I finally got that your name is May (beautiful). I am totally with you on your points 1,2,4,5,9 and 10. I've been sneaking around the Flavia de Luce books for a while now. Probably can't resist much longer ;-)
    I think Germany is experiencing a comeback when it comes to handicrafting. Check out Dawanda.com (it actually started in Berlin Mitte). All those people who make their own things and are confident enough to sell them. I'm even considering opening a little Dawanda shop at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats it - a whodunit quilt must now be made! It may take till yule for me to put a pattern together but lady it's happening! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God, both German and English Wikipedia have a entry about whodunit ;-) I had no idea the word even existed. BTW I love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was a good one. I found a marvelous skybelt in pink at Dawanda.
    http://de.dawanda.com/product/21179257-Skybelt-Flugzeugguertel-Pink
    I'll have to get one before the next globetrottering tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure thing - I'm in on the whodunit quilt. I hope it will be dripping with blood...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know more about you. I am totally in on 2/3/4 and 10. A whodunit quilt or Mystery Quilt as we call them here in the USA would be fun - will pop over to issabella the cat and let her know.
    I am up to a dozen Joseph's Coat blocks and it is getting to be vacation time - travel and handwork sure go together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the blogging world.....I hate to get up in the mornings as well....I am getting better the older I get because I can't sleep past a certain time. Wonderful blog...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi May! I love doing mystery quilts, and Ispy, and alphabet block swaps! That might be a good one to start with, by the way. You look in your stash for a yard of fabric that has say, A for apple or B for balloon. You cut it into squares, and others are doing the same. One quilter can organize it so that you don't get three blocks for one letter, and nothing for another! All send their cut squares to the "mama" and she puts together the 26 squares for each quilter and mails them out, using the postage they provided her.
    Then you can make a cute baby quilt with alphabet blocks, and you didn't have to spend big bucks!
    Just an idea.....but I'm in if you want to try!
    Jacque at Lilypadquilting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beecee
    How on earth am I to keep up with you on Joseph's coat?
    Issabella is planning a quilt with black background, white bodyoutline and some bloodpuddles, so I think maybe the name whodunit quilt isn't so far off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm.... Alan Bradley you say? Must try him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I remember right The sweetness at the bottom of the pie is the first one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love patchwork too and 23478 10 I enjoyed your post gone with the wind. I prefer the natural wash and go look too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting blog. It's great to see the variety of Blogs on the small blog meet.

    ReplyDelete