June 9, 2011

Knitting needle safe

I'm still busy organizing my working space and making new discoveries time after time. This time I came across some honey buns with only 10 strips. As I needed a new needle safe for my bamboo knitting needles I thought the strips would come in handy.

Ingredients

2 x 56 x 40 cm (22"X16") background fabric
1 x 56 x 40 cm (22"X16") batting, I used Vlieseline
8 honey bun strips (4 cm x 110 cm/1 1/2"x44" strips of fabric)
1 x 16 x 14 cm (6 1/2" x 5 1/2") background fabric and batting
stitchery pattern
some velcro
2 x 2" x 44" strips of fabric

Instructions

1. Cut all the fabrics.

2. Marc your stitchery pattern carefully in the middle of one of the background fabric pieces.

3. Iron the batting on (Is batting the right word? I mean the fabric you can iron on to stabilize your work) and make the stichery. My pattern is no. #644 from a Stitch in time. I liked it a lot from the first time I saw it and have only been waiting for the right place to put it. It says: "Dear Lord, put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Amen". As I usually don't know what I think, before I hear what I'm saying it seems the right thing for me.


4. Sew 2 strips from the honey bun with the right sides together. Repeat it with the other strips until you have sewn all 8 strips together. Cut the strips 3 x to a lenght of 24 cm (9 1/22) and 2 x 18 cm (7"). Sew the longer strips together. You will only need 21 strips of the longer ones.

5. Sew the shorter strips together (16 strips).

6. Iron your strips.

7. Place the strips on your cutting board and cut the longer strips so that they are 24 cm on one side and 19 cm on the other side. My ruler uses only cm, so I've put some tape on it the get some measurements in inches. It doesn't look so good, but it saves a lot of time.


8. Repeat it with the shorter strips, but place the small piece of fabric on the right side and cut it at the same time. The resulting piece (strips and fabric together) should be 18 cm on one side and 13 cm at the other. The small piece of fabric will make a pocket for your circular knitting needles.

9. Don't attach the small piece of fabric to the strips yet. Marc a stitchery pattern to the fabric and stitch it, picking the corresponding colours from the strips. I chose a smaller copy of the pattern on the front.


10. Now prepare the long strips of 2" x 44" for the binding. Don't attach it permanently yet as you need to place a small piece of velcro on the backside of the binding. It will be used to close the pocket so everything you put inside will stay safe. Cut the binding as you see right. It should be about 56 cm/22" long. Don't throw the remaining strips away as you will need them for the fastening.


11. Attach some velcro to the longer strips beneath the other velcro.


12. Attach the shorter strips on the longer ones with needles taking care that the strips correspond.


13. Put both the longer and shorter strips on your background fabric. Sew carefully on the seams of the strips, taking care to sew a couple of time back and forward to strenghten the seams.



14. Almost there! Now prepare the remaining strips for the binding into strips for fastening the needle safe.

15. Attach one string to the front side of the needle safe as you like it. I placed mine in the middle some 16 cm (6 1/2") from the right side.


16. Place both pieces of background fabric with the right sides together and sew all around, leaving a small bit open for turning the fabric. Don't forget to put the second piece of string between the fabrics with the long side to the middle.


There you are; your new knitting needle safe is finished. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job. Another nice idea for these is to add a few loops inside the case that snap back onto themselves. They are great for holding stitch markers, stitch holders and other notions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete