May 7, 2011

About UFOs and their leftovers

In January this year I did a very brave thing; I counted my UFOs. As it turned out I had 25 of the kind.
Of course they weren't beamed down on earth overnight. As a quilting newbie I wanted to try everything I saw and I just love messing around with colors and different fabrics. In my defence I have to say that I usually don’t put a project aside because I’ve got bored with it. No, it is because
  •   I have run out of some material or other
  •   I don’t know how to proceed
  •   I’m uncomfortable with the colors or pattern
I don’t mind UFOs so much, but enough is enough so I decided on this monthly plan:
  •  1 UFO finished
  •  2 blocks of Joseph’s coat
  •  4 blocks of Dear Jane
  •   1 block of Kansas mystery quilt
  •    no new projects until a lot of the UFOs have disappeared
  •  to have fun and not to care about some stupid plans
One important part of my plan was to have a blog of my own and to meet some sisters (or brothers) in spirit. Now this one has  finally been taken care of. I’m still not happy about the design and the contents of my blog, but I’m working on it. Just bear with me for some time; I have tons of ideas coming up. I just cannot do the underground work as fast as I would like to.

During the first three months of the year I mainly worked on three big projects. The first one was the Mystery star quilt from the Fat Quarter shop. It was a BOM and they sent you one block every month. It was fun to get these tiny parcels with the fabrics and the pattern for the next block. I wasn't so sure about my sewing abilities, so I postponed the sewing for almost one year and did some practice on other things in the meantime.


It was fun to make, but now I have been having doubts about my abilities to quilt (I'm upgrading my fears). I think I did mention something about it already. Now I have decided to quilt it by hand, but it sure will take some time. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

As a byproduct I’ve made 70 blocks out of the scraps from the Mystery star quilt. It will be a rather tradional Bear Paw quilt. I still need some 20 blocks more before I can gather it together. There are enough scraps left, so it is only a matter of time and patience.



The second big project was a flop, so we won’t lose any more time on that one. Come on; you had your fun with my Kaffee Fasset quilt and I can’t take any more depressions right now!

The third UFO I’m making for a couple of friends. In my opinion it is usually not a great idea to make anything for others, but in this case I made an exception. It is for two guys and I’m sure they are not so into quilting but will appreciate it. They have this beautiful place in the middle of nowhere and are lovingly improving it every day they are there. Beside the main house they have a lovely sauna with integrated guestroom. There is a kind of loft upstairs and there they keep a mattress for overnight guests. There is a wonderful view of the neighborhood from up there and you sometimes can see elks or other animals moving around. I wish I could show you some pictures but I have to ask their permission first. 

This place is just screaming for a handmade quilt and I chose Neptune by Moda. The coral is the same shade as in a oil painting hanging on the wall and the guys are keen sailors, so I suppose I couldn’t have chosen better. I did a lot of musing on this one (do they really want one, are the colors right…yak, yak). I decided on Scrappy floating stars. It is a very good  (free) pattern for beginners and it has so far been easy to make the blocks. Unfortunately I’m not very accurate yet, but I think it will turn our right. At the moment I’ve made 16 big blocks, but I still need some more and some borders as well.  


I bought 2 jelly rolls and one layer cake, so there are a lot of leftovers. I’ve cut the scraps already for a quilt from Schnibbles times two by Carrie Nelson. The pattern is called McGuffey. It looks a bit like a cabin log. You know the style. As my decision not to start on any new projects is still standing (and we have May!) the parts are just waiting for their turn. Sometimes my fingers start itching, but if you start thinking about something else (like chocolate) it eventually goes away.




So far I’ve finished 3 UFOs and 16 blocks for Joseph’s coat as well as some odds and ends.

This was the first UFO.


It is the January tablerunner from Cottonway made with Simply Abundance. 

The second UFO was a Pinwheel baby quilt with prairie points, but the picture didn't turn out so well. Never mind, I chose the same colours as in the original pattern from Moda bake shop.

The third one is called  Christmas Table Topper and I made out of two charms packs of Winter Song. 



It was fun to make, but making a christmas topper in May makes me feel somewhat odd.

So far I’m making no progress on the Baby Jane or the Kansas mystery quilt. I'm thinking of rebooting the Baby Jane, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I making it in brown fabrics and they don't inspire me at all. I've also discovered that I don't like paper piecing.

I'll tell you sometime later everything about the Kansas mystery quilt. It is called the Kansas mystery quilt because I use fabrics from the Kansas Trouble Quilters and the design is still a mystery for me. 

Now I have to take care of the mess the birches have left me on the windowsills and throw some water at the flowers or they will see no tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. You have more strength then me, when a new project starts calling I can't help but listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on your UFOs! I like the pieced back which gives interest to both sides of the quilt! Your bear paws are great too. It's nice to make something from the scraps - like something from nothing.

    Regards, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I updated my profile. Contact info is there now.
    beecee

    ReplyDelete