April 25, 2011

Joseph's coat

Joseph's coat is one of the UFOs laying around waiting for something to happen. This quiltalong started one and a half years ago and I really tried to make it. As I live in Germany I had to order my stuff from overseas. In case you don't know, fabrics are rather expensive in Europe and we haven't the choices you have in the English speaking part of the world. Sure, Germany is a nice place to live in, but it is not quilters heaven!

The fabrics came rather soon, thanks to the fast delivery from the Fat Quarter Shop and the Cotton Patch, but the Stich and Wash Fusible I had to order from a place in Canada. It took almost 2 months to get here and I was meanwhile sure it had disappeared underway. As soon as it came I cut the fabric, made the template and prepared the petals (about 460 of them). Then the sewing started and I actually finished 3 blocks before I got frustrated or something more exciting came around the corner. So all in all, last year a meagre 3 blocks were made. This year I have made up my mind to finish one UFO a month and not to start anything new (no big projects anyway). My plans for this year was to finish 2 blocks from Joseph's coat a month. Actually I have exceeded the expectations already, as I have finished 13 blocks so far. There are still 36 blocks to go, but I don't feel so bad about it anymore. I usually take a block and some petals with me when travelling around and so far it has worked very well.
This is how far I have got. Last sunday I glued some 70 petals and had to unglue my fingers every ten minutes or so...

2 comments:

  1. hi-
    I just started the Joseph's Coat this past weekend and at first I thought there was someone newer than me. Oh well, you will motivate me as I follow you. I think two blocks a month might be within reach if my Stitch and Wash comes in th email. ( My grandpa was from Finland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, when my first "follower" found me I was ecstatic! I ordered the wrong stabilizer!! Groan. I may end up not doing this according to the directions but use freezer paper or starch and Templar instead although I am not sure if the latter method will work for a petal this size. I will have to experiment and will continue to post progress.

    ReplyDelete